Photo date: July 15, 1897.
The 1897 Record of American and Foreign Shipping records Wadena as a 158.8' steam yacht built in Cleveland, OH in 1891. In 1897 it was owned by J. H. Wade and its homeport New York.
According to http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/w1/wadena.htm:
"Wadena -- a steel-hulled schooner-rigged screw steam yacht -- was built in 1891 at Cleveland, Ohio, by the Cleveland Shipbuilding Co. In the spring of 1917, the Navy inspected Wadena and acquired her from J. H. Wade, of Cleveland, who delivered the ship to the 3d Naval District on 25 May 1917. Designated SP-158, Wadena fitted out at the New York Navy Yard for distant service and was commissioned on 14 January 1918, Lt. Comdr. Walter M. Falconer, USN (Ret.), in command."
According to http://www.galegroup.com/pdf/scguides/wadepapers/wadepapers.doc :
"Jeptha Homer Wade II (1857-1926) (Jeptha Homer Wade Jr./Homer) was born in Cleveland on October 15, 1857, the son of Randall Palmer Wade and Anna Rebecca McGaw Wade and the grandson of Jeptha Homer Wade. He was a graduate of Mt. Pleasant Academy in Ossining, New York, and Western Reserve University. After working in the telegraph industry, he joined the banking community in Cleveland. Upon the death of his father in 1876, he developed a close relationship with his grandfather Wade and became his confidante and business associate. During his lifetime, Wade served as an executive in more than forty-five companies, including eleven railway firms, nine mining companies, eight manufacturing concerns, and four banking institutions.
"Jeptha Homer Wade II was an active philanthropist, serving as a trustee of the Western Reserve Historical Society, Western Reserve University, Adelbert College, and the Cleveland Museum of Natural History. He was an incorporator of the Cleveland Museum of Art in 1913, served as its president in 1920, and established a purchasing fund for the museum. In 1877, Wade married Ellen Garretson, daughter of Hiram and Ellen Howe Garretson. Upon her death in 1917, a memorial fund was established in her name to benefit charities that the Wade family supported. Jeptha Homer Wade II and Ellen Garretson Wade had three children: Jeptha Homer Wade Jr. (Jep), George Garretson (Garretson or Garry), and Helen Wade Green. Jeptha Homer Wade II died at Mill Pond Plantation, Thomasville, Georgia, in March 1926. "